Thursday, January 14, 2010

Poor Fido

I'm sitting here listening to BEP's 'I Gotta Feeling' and I can't keep still! I have a seemingly endless store of energy and it's amazing! I even worked out at the crack of dawn! I haven't felt like this since back in 2007...when I was a VEGAN. Wondering why? Because I've been eating vegan for the 3 and a half weeks!

Yup, thanks to that rainy-late-night incident in December that resulted in animal remnants being stuck to the underside of my car (it was dead before I hit it, I swear!) I really haven't had an appetite for meat. I would say, 80% of the time, cooking meat reminds me of poor Fido cooking under my car and it makes me wanna lose my lunch. So right after Christmas, I reverted back to an animal-product free (mostly) diet. I can't even begin to describe how great I feel! I don't need my morning coffee anymore, or my afternoon pick-me-up cup! I'm totally clear-headed!

There are many reasons I decided to do this (other than the Fido incident), first of all, I feel great! Secondly, I think I was meant to be a vegetarian basically out of my love for critters. As a kid, I would cry when my mom would bring home live crabs from the market to cook. And don't get me started on how losing a pet would affect me. And then there was that traumatic incident when I killed a moth in my bedroom and couldn't stop crying about it. Good Lord...haha.

I was a little concerned about changing my diet from a mainly protein-based diet to a whole grain based diet and how it would affect my workouts/running. The first week or so I was a little wonky...I think my body didn't know what the heck was going on. It was craving all the protein it was used to having. Then the second week hit and I haven't looked back. I'm able to workout just as much (if not more) than I have in the past and the difference for me is that I still have energy after my workouts--the same workouts that used to leave me couch-bound for the evening! I haven't lost any measurable pounds for the last three weeks, but I'm definitely losing inches. Woot.

My meals are mainly whole grain based (brown rice, quinoa, barley, millet), with veggies, beans and bean products (tofu and other meat substitutes). It wasn't a tough transition, because I've eaten this way in the past. I will say, though, that I've had one or two red meat dinners in the past few weeks and I wake up with a food hangover. Seriously. Holla if you know what I'm talking about...it's like having a hangover, but without the headache. Weird, I know...

And I can't wait to start working out with Chris Law again! I have the Carlsbad Half Marathon next Sunday, the 24th, and my focus right now is on reaching that goal. I'm so excited about it! And once that is over, I want to jump head-first back into my program with Chris. We'll have to re-hash my diet program now that I'm not eating meat...but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm off for now. Will try to post before my half-marathon. Will definitely post after. Take care all... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment